Rogram Goal and Value
The PhD program at ISS in an international program aimed at cultivating high-level researchers who will tackle important issues in
service phenomena and develop the service science discipline.
Tomorrow’s business researchers must understand the complexity of modern services and leverage rapidly emerging innovations in science and engineering. Being able to conduct research through the lens of a service dominant (S-D) logic will give students a unified perspective of today’s complex environment. PhD students from ISS can push the boundaries of research in the new field of service science or apply the service perspective to conduct innovative research in other established fields.
Today’s leading organizations emphasize their need for interdisciplinary innovation. A PhD in service science allows students to deepen their existing expertise and while gaining know-how that lets the work with creative minds from other disciplines.
The rigorous PhD training at ISS will equip students to work at the cross-section of different disciplines, armed with the ability to critically analyze complex systems, and equipped with working knowledge of the latest emerging technologies. Students will explore new areas of research on service systems, while creating and managing innovative new services. Our integrative research, classes, and projects allow students to develop themselves in several areas:
- Developing information systems that deliver and support modern services
- Modeling, managing and marketing services
- Designing innovative service experiences
- Leveraging data analytics for improving service
- Imbuing services with a sense of humanity
Courses and Dissertation
Students are expected to complete a research dissertation and take 24 credits of courses in order to obtain the PhD degree.
All students are
required to take the following core courses:
Students can take courses from Service Management, Design, and Engineering to fulfill the
additional 14 needed credits.
- Theories for Service Science (3 credits)
- Research Methods (3 credits)
- Seminar I (2 credits)
- Seminar II (2 credits)
For domestic Students
Admitted by application：October to November
Admitted by exam：April to May
For International Prospective Students
Fall Semester Application Period: January 1 - March 15
Spring Semester Application Period: September 1 - November 1
Program Road Map
The PhD program at ISS is a four to five year program that trains students to be world-class service researchers. At the end of the program, students will be qualified to be tenure-track researchers in top-tier academic institutions or senior researchers in world-class organizations in industry. The PhD program helps students invest their time and effort in gaining the experiences needed for both directions.
Attend Service Workshops and Camps: Students have the opportunity to attend workshops to gain the latest service design and engineering techniques. Students can join retreats in natural settings that foster a humanistic perspective and develop innovative thinking. These opportunities improve students’ ability to connect with clients and serve throughout their life.
- Start a Publication Pipeline: Faculty guide students through the process of publishing in leading academic journals. Before graduation, students are expected to publish in domain recognized international journals, as well as present in major international conferences. The journal and conference publications will demonstrate students’ future research potential and make them strong candidates for tenure-track positions in world-class universities.
- Experience At Least a Semester Abroad: Each student will spend time in a top-tier university outside of Taiwan. During their time abroad, students deepen core knowledge, and apply their research skills in a collaborative project. The semester abroad will demonstrate students’ ability to work alongside international researchers.
- Take the Lead in an Industry Project: Students have opportunities to take the lead role in joint industry university projects. Their involvement in projects will include designing, engineering, or managing innovative new services in cutting-edge firms. The industry projects will strengthen students’ ability to liaise with executives in organizations and manage a team of junior researchers.
- Gain Language Skills: The University offers practical training for foreigners to read and write in Chinese. With Chinese language proficiency, students enter their career being able to interact with high-tech industries and governments in the fastest growing economic region of the world. Students’ multilingual abilities will boost their professional standing, with both academia and industry now turning their attention to the greater China region.
- Attend High Quality Classes: Students have access to courses covering cutting-edge topics offered through the institute as well as other departments, including computer science, information systems and applications, technology management, law of science and technology, and more. Students can also gain credits for attending courses at other leading Taiwanese universities.
PhD students go abroad for at least half a year to experience another research environment and grow the joint research capabilities via international collaboration.
Financial and Living Support
The institute will provide full funding support in the first three years of doctoral study, and continue financial support based on research grants, in order to cover students’ major expenses.
International students can apply for several scholarships that include a tuition waiver and a monthly stipend.