Assistant Professor, Institute of Service Science, National Tsing Hua University, Taiwan
PhD, Communication and Computer Science, (Technology and Social Behavior Joint PhD program), Northwestern University, USA
Master of Arts Management, Heinz College and College of Fine Arts, Carnegie Mellon University, USA
B.Ed., Library and Information Science, National Taiwan Normal University, Taiwan
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, School of Information, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
Research Assistant, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, USA
Engineering (UX) Intern, Philips Research North America, Cambridge, MA, USA
Research/Teaching Assistant, Communication/ Computer Science/ Learning Science, Northwestern University, Evanston, USA
Associate Analyst, IDEAS, Institute for Information Industry (III), Taipei, Taiwan
Research Intern, LORD Cultural Resources, New York, NY, USA
研究興趣 Research Interests
Human Computer Interaction (HCI)
Behavior Intervention Technology
Internet of Things (IoT)
1. Kuo, P. Y., Saran, R., Argentina, M., Heung, M., Bragg-Gresham, J., Krein, S., ... & Veinot, T. C. (2020). Cramping, crashing, cannulating, and clotting: a qualitative study of patients’ definitions of a “bad run” on hemodialysis. BMC nephrology, 21(1), 1-10.
2. Hsueh, C. E., Lee, H., Lu, Y. H., Wu, N. H., Wu, Y. W., Lin, S. E., & Kuo, P. Y. (2020, April). Exploring the Effect of Group Size on Goal Setting & Sharing to Reduce Procrastination: Lessons Learned in a Field Study. In Extended Abstracts of the 2020 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 1-8).
3. Park, S. Y., Kuo, P. Y., Barbarin, A., Kaziunas, E., Chow, A., Singh, K., ... & Lasecki, W. S. (2019, November). Identifying Challenges and Opportunities in Human-AI Collaboration in Healthcare. In Conference Companion Publication of the 2019 on Computer Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing (pp. 506-510).
4. Bhimasta, R. A., & Kuo, P. Y. (2019, September). What causes the adoption failure of service robots? A Case of Henn-na Hotel in Japan. In Adjunct Proceedings of the 2019 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing and Proceedings of the 2019 ACM International Symposium on Wearable Computers (pp. 1107-1112).
5. Kuo, P. Y., Saran, R., Argentina, M., Heung, M., Bragg-Gresham, J. L., Chatoth, D., ... & Veinot, T. C. (2019, May). Development of a Checklist for the Prevention of Intradialytic Hypotension in Hemodialysis Care: Design Considerations Based on Activity Theory. In Proceedings of the 2019 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 1-14).
6. Kuo, P. Y. P. (2018, October). Design for self-experimentation: participant reactions to self-generated behavioral prompts for sustainable living. In Proceedings of the 2018 ACM International Joint Conference and 2018 International Symposium on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing and Wearable Computers (pp. 802-808).
7. Kuo, Pei-Yi and Horn, Michael (2016). Daily Challenges: Participants’ View on Frequency and Content in a Behavior Change Intervention. ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI’16), Workshop on Interactive Systems in Healthcare (WISH). San Jose, CA.
8. Kuo, Pei-Yi and Horn, Michael (2016). Participants’ View on Picture Taking in a Behavior Change Intervention. American Medical Informatics Association Annual Symposium (AMIA’16), Chicago, IL.
9. Kuo, Pei-Yi (2015). Engage People in Pro-Environmental Behaviors through Online Prosocial Interaction and Pro-Health Intervention. In Proceedings of the 33rd Annual ACM Conference Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI ’15) (pp. 207-210). ACM. (Accepted by the 2015 ACM SIGCHI Doctoral Consortium)
10. Kuo, Pei-Yi and Michael Horn (2014). Energy Diet: Energy Feedback on a Bathroom Scale. In Proceedings of the 2014 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing (UbiComp’14). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 435-446.
11. Connell, S., Kuo, P., Liu, L., & Piper, A. M. (2013). A Wizard-of-Oz elicitation study examining child-defined gestures with a whole-body interface. In Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Interaction Design and Children (IDC). New York, NY, USA, June 24-27, 2013. ACM.
12. Gerber, E., Hui, J. & Kuo, P.Y. (2012). Crowdfunding: Why People are Motivated to Post and Fund Projects on Crowdfunding Platforms. Computer Supported Cooperative Work 2012, Workshop on Design Influence and Social Technologies: Techniques, Impacts and Ethics, Seattle, WA.
Design for Behavior Change: This course is designed to understand how technology can be used and designed to engage people in healthy diet, exercise, and eco-friendly behaviors, and to what extent it leads to successful outcomes. Using a variety of empirical studies conducted in the fields of human-computer interaction (HCI) and preventive medicine, students will explore how researchers from different fields approach behavior change design, and how different technologies can be developed to achieve the purpose.
Sept 2016: Winner of the ASIS&T Doctoral Student Research Contest
Jan 2014: Departmental Nomination for the Google PhD Fellowship, Northwestern University
Dec 2011, April 2012: Recipient of the Norman Design Fund, Northwestern University
March 2007: The Annual Study Abroad Photo Contest, Honorable Mention, Carnegie Mellon University
April 2006: Summer Internship Scholarship, Carnegie Mellon University
Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (SIGCHI)'19’18’17’15’13
American Medical Informatics Association Annual Symposium (AMIA)’18’17
Tangible Embedded and Embodied Interaction (TEI)’16’15
Interaction Design and Children (IDC)’17
User Interface Software and Technology Symposium (UIST)’16
Computer-Human Interaction in Play (CHI Play)’17’16
International Communication Association (ICA)’18’16
Intl. Conference in Computer Entertainment Technology (ACE)’17’15
ACM Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces (IUI)'19
Taiwanese CHI (TAICHI)'17